Pages

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain.
~ Author Unknown

Monday, March 11, 2013

Possibly the End of a Great School

I will be the 1st to say that I didn't LOVE high school.  It was by far not the best years of my life, but it was nice growing up in a small town and attending a small school where you knew everyone in your class.  At the time K-12 enrollment was around 500 students.  There were 30 in my graduating class. 
After high school, I went to college and eventually moved about an hour an a half from my hometown.  My parents still live there.  Some of my friends still live there and their kids go to school there.  However, enrollment has dropped over the years.  
A few years back the state decided that any school district whose total enrollment was under 350 should be consolidated with another district regardless of student performance.  A couple of years ago, our little district was consolidated with a neighboring district that is about 15 miles from the current school.  In a big city this wouldn't really be an issue, but in a small town where people are used to letting their kids walk to school, or are able to drop their kids off in the morning, or are used to their kids riding a bus for a short period of time, this sucks.
The community has done everything in it's power to keep the school open.  At some point this year the district we became a part of voted to close my old high school.  Since it was not a unanimous vote, it went before the state board of education today and they ruled in favor of it being closed. 

It is a sad day for the community and for all of the kids in high school there.  It's a sad day for anyone who is an alum also.  I feel that soo many of those kids will choose to go to school elsewhere rather than be forced to go to a high school that does not perform as well as the one they are currently attending.

I know there is still action to be taken to try to save the school and I hope they succeed.

No comments: