Pages

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain.
~ Author Unknown

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Dino Dash 5K 2011

In honor of Scott's 1st 5K last year, we ran Dino Dash again this year.  Out church had a team again this year so that always makes these races a little more fun.  My goal this year was to finish in under 30 minutes.  I have never finished a race in under 30 minutes.  My best time was about 31 minutes.

On Friday night it poured down rain and I was so afraid we were going to have to run in the rain on Saturday morning.  This would not have been good for my goal.  We woke up Saturday morning to no rain, but 95% humidity.  Oh joy!  I'm not sure what is worse.....running in the rain or running it what feels like a sauna....I have done both (Toad Suck 5K 2009 and Big Dam Bridge 5K 2009).  Luckily the temp was in the 60's so I thought this must be a good sign, but it warmed up quick and oh the humidity....

The race started and we took off.  I am not very good a pacing myself.  I never have been and never will be unless I buy one of those fancy watches that tells you what your pace is.  Less than a mile in I knew I started off way to fast.  I lost Scott close to a mile in and when I glanced at my watch at the one mile marker, I noticed it said 8:54.  WOW!  I am a really bad pacer.  No wonder I felt like I was going to die.  Starting off that fast in the awful  humidity was a bad idea.  About 2 miles in, I thought to myself...."I wonder if Scott would stop and pick me up if I passed out about now."  There was soo much sweat and my lungs were burning.  Have I mentioned how bad the humidity was?  I passed mile 2 at about 18:30 and I thought "ok....all you have to do is run at a 10 min/mile pace and you can make it."  I somehow kept my feet moving.  When I hit the 3 mile marker, this is where I would have normally sped up and tried to finish strong.  I looked at my watch which said 27min and thought to myself...."Why speed up? I have 2 minutes to make it 1/10 a mile....no problem."  I finally sped up about 10 feet from the finish line.  My official time was 28:54!  I beat my goal by just over a minute.  I felt like I was going to pass out from the humidity.  Scott finished a few minutes after I did.  Apparently the humidity got to him a little worse than me.  He didn't finish in under 30 minutes, but he did beat last year's time.




No comments: